Monday, January 19, 2009

Sarah Palin: Respect for Life

Starting on Jan. 20 (Tuesday) my other blog (http://stevemaloneygop.blogspot.com) will stop cross-posting from this one and begin columns about the Obama presidency, which I expect to be somewhere between a circus and a calamity. I hope you'll visit.
"Suffer little children to come unto me and forbid them not, for of such is the Kingdom of Heaven."

A friend asked me how Sarah Palin can "square the circle" of retaining conservative support while also attracting moderates and center-left Democrats.

Linda, there are ways of handling the challenge of keeping conservatives while appealing to moderates and Democrats. Sarah needs to make the point that we need more respect for life in general in America -- less violence against women, less hostility to minority group members, less child abuse, less warehousing of kids in bad schools, less crime, less drug and alcohol addiction, less mistreatment of the elderly, even less animal abuse.

At the same time, we need more assistance for those with special needs children, more facilitation of adoption, and more assistance to girls and women who are pregnant and in need of supportive people.

I believe Sarah Palin is very much in favor of moving on all the issues I raise. That's one reason I support her so strongly. She understands that the Two Great Commandments both center on the word LOVE.

There are laws against the things I mentioned (e.g., murder, child abuse), but reducing their incidence in our society is a matter less of law than of conscience, education, and basic morality. There was a belief after Roe v. Wade that it would reduce the occurrences of child abuse, spouse abuse, and the like. That didn't happen. (By the way, I'm not in favor of abortion, but ultimately it's not my decision to make. At the same time, I'll discuss the matter with anyone who wishes.)

Sarah needs to appeal to what Lincoln called "the better angels of our nature." She should use those very words. Her own respect for life should include respect for those whose views differ from her own. All Americans will agree with her that there hasn't been exactly an excess of love in our society.

No comments: